Have You Got a Regular Cleaning Checklist?
If you do your home cleaning on your own you most probably have created a checklist to follow. It makes you more organized, quicker and reduces the chances to miss something. It is really easy to forget a task if you don’t have it written down. Having a list down in writing and following it will get you quicker in the routine and your cleaning will get easier each time you do it. Depending on your preferences and how thorough and demanding you are that list might be too short to cover everything that needs cleaning or way too long to complete in the time frame you are available for cleaning. Either way, your home might not be as clean as it should be or you want it to be. In such cases you’ll have to review your checklist and see what needs to be changed in order to get the best of your cleaning session.
If you think that your cleaning checklist needs improvement, we have a few suggestions on what it should definitely include:
General Cleaning Routine
The general basics are a must have on your list. They include tasks that you do very often, like taking out the trash, vacuum cleaning, dusting, sweeping and mopping. We should not forget washing dishes, laundry and tidying up. When you create your personal cleaning list, write down all tasks that you need done on a regular basis, but do not get carried away making your list too long.
Kitchen Cleaning Essentials
If you cook regularly, then you should also do a basic clean of your kitchen every time you cook as greasy spills tend to get harder to clean and need a lot of scrubbing and scraping if not removed immediately after cooking. You can focus on the following areas:
1. Start with the stove. This will be the most contaminated area after food preparation and will need extra attention.
2. Wipe down all cupboards, cabinets and drawers on the outside. Don’t forget to check the skirting boards and wipe them clean.
3. Clean your oven, fridge, freezer, dishwasher, microwave, kettle, coffee machine and any other appliance on the outside and make sure you check them for any major spillages and/or debris in you fridge, oven and dishwasher.
4. The kitchen sink is next on the list. Use a quality cleaning product and a scourer as apart from food debris you will also need to scrub off the scales.
5. When you are done with that you will have to sweep and mop the kitchen floors.
Do not forget to get into the routine of deep cleaning your kitchen every once in a while. Then you should empty your appliances, cupboards, cabinets and drawers and do a thorough clean on the inside. Deep clean all kitchen corners and especially around the stove and the sink. Don’t forget to look up for cobwebs.
Following these steps will ensure you have a clean and safe environment for food preparation.
Bathroom Cleaning Essentials
Having your bathroom clean at all times is very important. After all this is the place where you wash yourself, plus it makes a good impression if an unexpected visitor comes by. The regular bathroom cleaning should include the following:
1. Clean all tiles, especially around the sink, toilet, shower and/or bath as these areas tend to get most sprinkles while washing, showering, bathing and using the toilet. Also make sure you scrub off the grout as this is where mould and mildew will start building up if neglected.
2. Clean your bath tub and/or shower, shower head and valve.
3. Give your toilet a good cleaning especially the bowl as it gets most contaminated and becomes a source of unpleasant smells.
4. Wipe down all cabinets and bathroom mirrors.
5. Clean the sinks and the under sink storage units. Make sure you do a good job cleaning the faucets and around them to prevent mould appearance and kill all bacteria.
6. Wipe down the light switches. Clean the windows.
7. Remove and clean the mats and rugs and if needed wash them.
8. Finally sweep and mop the floors.
Have in mind that despite cleaning your bathroom regularly you should give it a nice deep cleaning with the change of every season or at least twice a year.
Living Room Cleaning Essentials
The living room is where we spend our free time, watch TV, eat, dine, snack, sometimes sleep, where our kids play and etc. Some of us even work from home in the living room. In short this is the most used area in our home and is a very important part of our regular cleaning routine:
1. First tidy up the clutter and put everything in its place.
2. Vacuum all sofas, armchairs and sofa beds.
3. Wipe down and polish the dining, coffee tables, TV set and table.
4. Dust and wipe clean all cabinets and wall fittings.
5. Vacuum clean all carpets even under the furniture.
6. Don’t forget to wipe down light switches and sockets.
7. Check the windows for any sprinkles, fingerprints, dust and other debris and clean if needed.
Your bedroom is where you spend about a third of your life. So, keeping it clean, tidy and dust free is a must.
1.First make up the bed and change sheets if required.
2.Tidy up the wardrobe, if needed. We do tend to get messy sometimes.
3.If you have any clothes lying around, make the effort and move them into the laundry basket.
4.Give all furniture and fittings a quick dusting and wipe down.
5.Check if windows and window sills need cleaning as well.
6.Finally vacuum clean and move on to the next task on the list.
Hallway, Stairs and Laundry room
Things are pretty straightforward here. However, we do get messy sometimes, especially with young children, and it is worth pointing out a few tips:
1.Check if chandeliers, paintings/photos and fittings need dusting and wiping.
2.Check banisters for dust and dirt, and walls for any splashes.
3.If any pets or children around, check laundry room for any detergent or softner spills on a daily basis. We don’t want any of our beloved ones to swallow any of that, do we?
4.Check if washing machine needs attention.
5.Finally vacuum and mop floors.
The list can go on and on, but the truth is our time is limited and we don’t have all day every day to spend on cleaning.
For a deep seasonal cleaning the list will be a bit longer and the tasks more thorough.
If all this seems a bit too much for regular cleaning, do not lose hope. Once you get into the routine of regular cleaning you will get the habit of cleaning faster and more efficiently. And with the basics done regularly, deep cleaning becomes much easier and less time-consuming.
And if it still seems overwhelming or you lack the time to do it on your own you can always leave it to the professionals and call Pro Cleaning London for help.